英语日记一词
blow your top Jul. 13
I have never seen you blow your top before.
我以前从未见过你大发雷霞。
Don't blow your top over such a silly little mistake.
别为了这小而愚蠢的错误发脾气。
He's going to blow his top! He told me not to touch anything on his desk! 他非气疯了不可!他说过让我别碰他桌子。
cajole 劝诱,以甜言蜜语哄骗 He cajoled Mr Dobson to stand for mayor.
他说服多布森先生竞选市长。
cacophony 刺耳的声音
All around was bubbling a cacophony of voices.
周围人声嘈杂。
bite off more than one can chew 贪多嚼不烂、好高鹜远、自不量力、力不从心、心有余而力不足
1)We bite off more than we can chew when we started this project. Is there any turning back now?
这个项目刚开始的时候我们就没有量力而行,现在还有回旋的余地吗?
2)Ann is exhausted again. She’s always bitting off more than she can chews. 这个项目刚开始的时候我们就没有量力而行,现在还有回旋的余地吗?
3)You can do things properly at ordinary time, but this time you’re biting off a bit more than you can chew.
你平时做事很有分寸,但是这一次你有点好高鹜远。
4)Do your best. Do whatever you can., but don’t bite off more than you can chew.
尽最大努力去做,做你能做得到的事,不要好高鹜远。
5)I think you bite off more than you can chew by taking on the new job. Be careful to not bite off more than you can chew in the beginning.
我觉得你承担这项新工作是心有余而力不足,开始不要好高鹜远。
6)He started to cope with the matter on his own, but soon he realized that he had bitten off more than he could chew.
他开始独自处理这件事,但很快就意识到他力不从心。
7)You want to do a double major at university. Don’t you think you might be
bitting off more than you can chew?
No, I’m sure I can handle it.
你想在大学功双学位,你不觉得你可能会力不从心的吗?
不会,我肯定我能做到。
8)My sister has signed up for an advanced Spanish course, but she can’t speak Spanish so well. I think she’s bitten off more than she can chew.
我的妹妹报了高级西班牙语班级,可是西班牙语说得并不好。我想她是自不量力了。
9)She has bitten off more than she can chew again. She has agreed to finish 3 very difficult projects by the end of this year.
她又自不量力了,她答应年底前完成三项难做的课题。
to the bitter end 拼到底
1. We will fight to the bitter end to ensure our children get what is rightfully theirs. 我们会斗争到底,确保我们的孩子得到理应属于他们的东西。
2. The author's intention is to keep everyone guessing until the bitter end. 这位作家打算把悲惨结局的悬念一直保留到最后。
3. The guerrillas would fight to the bitter end, he said, in order to achieve their main goal. 他说,游击队员会为实现主要目标而战斗到底。
4. You may think that's sentimental, but I mean it -- to the bitter end. "
你也许会认为这是感情用事, 可是我是说到做到的 —— 一直拼到底. ”
5. They would fight to the bitter end, and would not ask for quarter.
他们宁愿拼到底, 也不愿请求敌人饶命.
bellicose Jul. 14
好战的,好争吵的,好斗的
He expressed alarm about the government's increasingly bellicose statements. 他对政府越来越具挑衅性的声明表示担忧。 block
块,大块 a block of ice一大块冰
街区 She walked four blocks down High Street.她沿着商业大街走了4个街区。 大楼;大厦 blocks of council flats 一栋栋市政公寓大楼
阻塞,堵塞 He can clear blocked drains. 他能清理堵塞的排水沟。
挡住,遮住(视线)a row of spruce trees that blocked his view of the long north slope of the mountain. 一排云杉挡住了他的视线,使他看不到这座山绵长的北坡
挡住(去路) I started to move round him, but he blocked my way... 我准备绕过
他,但他挡住了我。 green Christmas 没有下雪的圣诞节
white Christmas下雪的圣诞节 trauma 精神创伤 Jul. 15
I'd been through the trauma of losing a house. 我经历过失去房子的痛苦。 The officers are claiming compensation for trauma after the disaster.
灾难过后军官们正在要求赔偿精神损失。
disqualify v. 使丧失资格 I'm not qualified to do anything, but I never disqualify myself from doing anything. 也许我无法胜任所有的事情,但我也绝不允许自己不做任何努力而坐以待毙. trailblazing 开创性的,带头的 Jul. 16
Roman's trailblazing actions caused other rich investors to start sniffing around other Premiership clubs. 阿布的带头行动引领了其他投资者介入英超的俱乐部. sniff around 打探情况; 试图抢走(心上人); 企图挖走
When I had to go away to university, I was convinced that other men would be sniffing round her.
当我不得不离开去上大学的时候,我很清楚别的男人会打她的主意。 immaculate 一尘不染 Jul. 17
Her front room was kept immaculate.
她的客厅一尘不染。
The goalkeeper's performance was immaculate.
守门员的表现堪称完美。 black coffee 清咖啡;不加牛奶的咖啡
black tea 红茶 nephew 侄子,外甥
This year all the apples are all red. My niece and nephew are going out this morning with step-ladders to pick some.
今年所有的苹果都红了。我侄女和侄子今天早晨准备带上梯子去摘一些。 pensive 沉思的 Jul. 18
He looked suddenly sombre, pensive.
他突然看起来很阴郁,一副忧虑的样子。
Angela stared pensively out of the window.
安杰拉忧郁地望着窗外。 sombre 忧郁的,严肃的;暗淡的
The pair were in sombre mood...
这两个人情绪低落。
His expression became increasingly sombre...
他的表情变得越来越严肃。 It was a beautiful house, but it was dark and sombre and dead.
这座房子虽然很漂亮,但是色彩暗淡,死气沉沉。
She felt more sympathy for Neil's sombrely stolid manner than she ever had before. 她比过去更同情尼尔忧郁而执拗的举止了。
loathe 憎恨,厌恶
The two men loathe each other...
两个男人互相看不顺眼。
She loathed being the child of impoverished labourers. 她憎恨自己是贫困工人的孩子。
taciturn 沉默寡言的 Jul. 19
A taciturn man, he replied to my questions in monosyllables. 他寡言少语,回答我的问题时只是往外蹦单字。
ingenuity 足智多谋,心灵手巧
Inspecting the nest may require some ingenuity.
探查鸟巢是需要些技巧的。
derogatory 贬低的; 贬损的
He refused to withdraw derogatory remarks made about his boss. 他拒绝收回那些贬损老板的话。 keep a weather eye out 注意观察
注意观察在用帆船航海的年代观测气象是有关生死存亡的大事,而生活在当今的现实中也不时会遇上不测风云和旦夕祸福,也得注意提防,所以习惯用语keep a weather eye out就是时时谨防生活中的烦扰变故。
g Jul. 20
g Jul. 21